It’s hard to believe that I worked on this quilt for something like 9 weeks while we’ve been staying home and social distancing. It’s also hard to believe I didn’t buy any fabrics but just used what I had in my stash.
Thanks to Bonnie Hunter for doing this free Unity quilt along on her Quiltville website! It was fun and I had no idea how it would turn out. It was definitely something to look forward to each week.
Let me fill you in on some of the steps since I last shared:
I left you at week 6 and was excited to do the red and white half square triangles. Those triangles turned into big pinwheel blocks that were added all around the quilt.
These pinwheel blocks also had some blue and aqua squares which I was able to dig out of my scrap bins.
And then this last and final week I took a look at the blocks and realized that I didn’t have enough aqua fabric and maybe not enough blue. So I just decided to finish it my own way.
I made smaller versions of the blocks from the last part and decided to use them as corner blocks. They’re cute!
Then I made a bunch more of the half square triangles and used them as an all-around border.
I also added a plain background border to fill the space between the saw-tooth border and the quilt since my corner blocks were 4″. There was a lot of math involved and math is not my thing so I’m really thrilled that it came together!
(There were a few extra parts. Whoops!)
This thing is big! Mine measures 82″ x 90″ so it was challenging to find a place to take a good photo.
Now, I’m finishing up a few other projects and can’t wait to get started embroidering my quarantine activities on the backing of this quilt. Wish me luck on that!