The day has finally come when I’ve finished all the blocks that I need to make my Farmer’s Wife 1930’s Sampler quilt!
I had decided (probably last year) that I wasn’t going to make my 1930’s Farmer’s Wife quilt like the one in the book. I just hate when patterns call for you to cut blocks in half. I mean, you made the whole block – you want to see the whole block! That’s just my opinion.
So the quilt layout in the book called for making all 99 blocks included in the book. My layout plan calls for making 83 blocks. I plan to set them on point with sashing and setting triangles, a lot like the original Farmer’s Wife quilt.
I was more than ready to finish making these blocks since I started with the easiest and they were getting really hard by the end. You might have noticed that I said I needed 83 blocks but I made 84. Yes, one came out very badly so I don’t think I can use it. After that block, I thought I would paper piece the last few but the paper pieced patterns were completely messed up. I went on Laurie Hird’s website and found 19 pages of corrections for the book which explained my problems. I went back to using templates after that.
Using the templates was slow going but it worked.
These are some of the last few blocks I made and you can see they’re very intricate.
Today I’m cutting out white sashing pieces and hope to start laying everything out. I can’t decide if I should make my sashing cornerstones all one color or a scrappy variety of these 1930’s prints that I’ve used. I have a 1930’s green for my setting triangles.
I think I’ll just have to lay everything out and see how it looks.
I’m so happy to finally be able to put this quilt together!