Indian Summer update

Remember these quilt blocks?

IMG_1551

It looks like I got everything cut and organized in April 2018.  Well, I finally made some progress with this!  I took my unfinished bits to a quilt retreat this past April and it was the perfect project to sew on while talking, eating and drinking wine.  I mean you just sew on the lines, press and trim – then repeat 83 times!

I got the triangles sewn together last week and that finished the middle part.

The next step was to cut out the outside pieces and then I crawled around on the floor to get the layout I wanted.

The directions for these patterns from Quiltworx are extremely detailed and if you just follow each step, things work out well.

indian summer1

The strips are sewn onto pattern pieces that have 5 strips on each.  The directions have you stack them with #1 piece on top and #5 on the bottom to make sure you get everything in the right place.

I’m not sure if I got everything in the right place but I did refer back to these photos a few times to make sure my pieces were going the right way so I tried.

There are 22 paper pieced sections around the outside of the quilt and 2 corner pieces.  (The other 2 corners are sewn together with a mitered seam.)  This is definitely one of those quilts where you wonder if things are going to work out.  Have faith!

IMG_2222.JPG

I got all the strips sewn onto the papers.  These went together very fast.

Then I sewed the bottom and top borders on.  They went on very easily.  I only had to add the one extra strip that was suggested in the directions.  One of the side borders fit perfectly but one was a little too short.  I ended up taking off the last strip and making a bigger piece and sewing it back on.  (Luckily I had some extra fabric.)

The pattern called for taking the paper off the #1 and #5 parts before sewing the paper pieced sections together.  You leave the rest of the paper.  This helps to minimize stretching in the border and it seems to have worked great.

After getting all the sides on; I dove right into sewing the mitered borders together.

IMG_2227

Those seams take a little finessing.

Then I sewed on the 2 corner triangles.

IMG_2230 (2).JPG

And this Indian Summer quilt top is done!!

I still need to sew a basting stitch around the outside before taking the rest of the papers out.  Hopefully, this will keep the quilt top from stretching while it’s being quilted.

A Big Bear

My husband asked me to make another baby quilt for a coworker who is expecting a baby this summer so I found this quilt that I thought would be fun for a new baby boy.

IMG_2214 (3).JPG

This quilt pattern is called “Big Bear” by Annie Brady.  I found it online and I think at one time it was a free pattern using the Big Sky fabric line by Annie Brady for Moda.  I was able to buy the pattern download directly from Annie Brady’s website here.

I only saw the cute bear and thought – that would make an adorable baby blanket.  I didn’t look too closely at the pattern or the size of the quilt.  I also thought I would have enough fabrics in my stash for a little bear quilt until I started cutting.  Most of the blocks are 4 inch or 7 1/2 inches.  This is a big bear!

I had to do some scrap matching and swapping as I ran out of fabrics.

IMG_2169 (3)

Once I got all the pieces cut out, I put them up on my design wall so that I could sew them together correctly.  It felt a little like a puzzle!  Really, this quilt was quick and easy and a lot of fun to put together.

These eyeballs reminded me of all my flower circle appliques from last summer.  I’m a pro at them now!

IMG_2172 (3)

So the quilt from the pattern measures 59 1/2 inches X 70 inches but I wanted it to be more of a baby quilt so I didn’t add the last border which measures 7 inches.  My quilt came out to 46 inches X 55 1/2 inches.  It’s a little bigger than I would normally make a baby quilt but maybe this one will take the baby through the toddler years too.

IMG_2197 (2)

Another option would have been to cut the block measurements in half but that sounds like too much math for me.

I wanted to quilt an all over design on this that would be quick and easy for me to do on my sewing machine so I went with horizontal lines a little over an inch apart.

IMG_2216 (2).JPG

I marked the lines and used my walking foot.  I’ll need to wash out the marking lines when I finish the quilt.

I thought I might go back and outline the bear after I finished the horizontal lines but I decided that might be too much.  I don’t like to have too much quilting so that the quilt is a little softer.

IMG_2218 (2)

I found this blue polka dot fabric at a fabric sale downtown so I used it as backing and I have plenty left over for the binding.

My binding is finished and ready to be sewn on and after a quick wash, this baby gift is ready to go!