I was recently asked to put together a special blanket as a kind of memorial for a family pet. A friend lost her beloved dog a few months ago and wanted a way to hang on to his special bed and blanket as a remembrance of him. She had cut his name off his dog bed and already had an idea of what she wanted for a special “quilt”.
I cut a bit off the edge of the bed fabric and made a loop to attach to the bottom of the name piece so my friend could attach the dog’s tags. Then I squared off and finished the edges of the name piece so I could later attach it to the blanket.
She had given me his two favorite well-loved blankets so I needed to put them together.
I stuck them right sides together and sewed them pillow-style around the edges, leaving a little space open to turn them right sides out and then I sewed the hole closed and top stitched around the edges.
Then I just quilted along the lines in the blanket to keep everything from shifting around. I used my walking foot for these straight lines.
The last step was to attach the embroidered name from his bed onto the blanket. I thought about doing this before sewing the whole blanket together but I just wasn’t sure about things shifting around and I definitely wanted it to be centered and neat.
So there you have a simple way to remember a pet and keep their favorite blanket around.
I’m so happy that my friend thought of me to put her vision of this project together and I hope it brings her a lot of joy.
I’ve found myself in a perfect storm of quilt finishes although the quilts are not quite finished – they still have to have the bindings sewn on.
It makes me feel good to have all these quilted quilts but a little overwhelmed to do all the hand sewing that the bindings require.
It took me 3 weeks to get the binding on my recently finished hand quilting project. This is my “40 Shades of Grey” quilt that I spent the winter hand quilting. I don’t know why it took me so long to get the binding sewn on other than the fact that it’s a pretty big quilt. But it’s completely done now!
I’m halfway done putting the binding on my “On Ringo Lake” quilt. I remembered last night that I needed to make the label so I can’t go any further until I do that. (It seems easier to just sew it on along with the binding.) I mailed this quilt off to Missouri Star Quilt Company to have it quilted back in January, I think. Sometimes when I don’t have the backing or any batting, it’s easiest for me to mail it to them and include the backing in my quilting order. They get busy though so it took some time. It was a coincidence that it was returned about the same time I was putting the binding on my last quilt. Luckily, I had set aside the binding fabric so I was able to get it on the quilt quickly.
And then my “Good Fortune” quilt was returned right after that! I gave this one to my friend, Lisa, to quilt here in Germany. She broke her hand and was out of quilting action for awhile but she managed to get this one done and back to me last week. It looks beautiful! I wanted to piece the binding together from light background fabrics but I haven’t gotten around to that yet. So… it’s at the bottom of the pile.
And last is this Preemie Quilt for charity. My quilt guild makes & gives them to a local hospital and I picked up a kit. Of course it only needed barely 3 strips for binding as it’s only about 25 inches square. It will be a fast finish but it’s still on the pile.
So that’s what I’ve been working on and what I’ll be working on for a little while. It’s good to almost have 4 quilts finished already this year!