Log Cabin finish


I finished my “Libby’s Log Cabin” quilt top this past week!

I debated about a border but finally decided against adding one.  I thought a plain  border would be too… well, plain.  And anything else would be hard to match the quilt fabrics.  This size will be a nice winter throw I think.


Now I just need to choose a backing fabric and get it quilted.  I’ll share when I get it’s all finished!


On Ringo Lake Mystery Quilt

I finally got started with my “On Ringo Lake” Mystery Quilt this past week!  (Now that it’s no longer a mystery.)

Bonnie Hunter offers a fabulous mystery quilt every year on her Quiltville website.  She usually posts the first part the day after Thanksgiving – which I have to say, is not a good time for me.  Then the quilt clues usually show up once a week until around the first week of January when she reveals what the quilt should look like.

The quilts really are beautiful – and detailed.  I started one a few years ago and then got overwhelmed by ALL the pieces to cut.  But when I see the quilts people have made from her mysteries, I want to make them too but guess what…?  The patterns are gone!!  She only leaves the clues on her website for about a month and then they’re gone.

This year I made a point to print out the clues as Bonnie posted them.  I could tell from the color reveal (she posts paint sample cards) that I had none of the fabric colors she was using.  I started to buy a few fat quarters here and there and put them away with the clues that I had printed out.

Last week I was cleaning my sewing room and found the bag of fabric and the folder of clues and decided it was time to get started on this quilt before Bonnie comes out with yet another mystery quilt.

I think this Part 1 was easy this year.  Maybe she didn’t want to overwhelm anybody!


Part 1 is to make 50  9-patch blocks.  And the pattern called for using strip sets to do it so it wasn’t too hard.



So I have the first step done and I even got the fabric cut out for Part 2.


200 Coral rectangles and 400 little background squares.  It took just a little time.  At this point I realized that I didn’t buy enough fabric so I used up almost all my coral fabric.  Before I get to Part 3, I need to find some more.

My goal is to have this quilt top done before Bonnie comes out with her 2018 mystery quilt the end of November.

Toy Sewing Project

I bought this stuffed animal kit when it was on sale at the AQS store because it looked so cute!  I thought it would be a fun project and a nice gift.

It’s called “Puppy Dog Pete”  and it’s an original design of Pauline McArthur of the Funky Friends Factory.

I don’t usually do much of this kind of sewing but the pattern was easy to follow and had helpful photos and illustrations.


First, I cut out all the pieces.

And followed the instructions for sewing the pieces together in the correct order.


When I got to the step of adding the button eyes and sewing on the nose; I felt a little like Geppetto.  My little dog was coming to life!


Adding the head to the body was the hardest step.  It was just some awkward sewing but not too bad.


Then he got stuffed and sewn up tight.



How cute is this puppy?  I cut the pieces one day and sewed him the next day.  It really is an easy project.

Now he’s on his way to a new home.

Maybe you would like to make your own Puppy Dog Pete?  There are many projects similar to this one; both patterns and kits on the Funky Friends Factory website.



Log Cabin blocks

Sometimes I just can’t believe how time flies while I’m busy puttering with this project or that.  It’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to share what I’m working on but the weather has been nice and we’ve had guests and I just haven’t gotten to it.

I have been working on some things though.  One is a small project that I gave up on since it just did not come together like I wanted it to and then there’s this log cabin quilt.


This is the quilt kit that my husband gave me for Christmas and it looked like a fun and easy project that I wouldn’t have to think too hard about.

It’s called “Libby’s Log Cabin” by Marianne Fons and it’s made up of these reproduction reds, browns and creams that give it a very “country” look.


The center of the Log Cabin blocks are these red & cream Variable Star blocks that are put together with a very clever method that allows you to make them really quickly.


The pattern calls for cutting large and small squares.  The small red squares are lined up on the largest cream square, a line is drawn down the center and then everything is sewn 1/4″ on either side of the drawn line. (The seam lines are drawn here.)


After sewing, cut down the middle & press the small triangles open.  Now you have 2 weird triangles.


Then you add another red square to the bottom of each of the weird triangles and sew 1/4″ from the center of those and then cut down the middle again.

And guess what?  Now you have 4 flying geese blocks!


Clever, right?  So these turn into the points of the Variable Star.


Then the block gets built similar to a Log cabin block.


The quilt consists of 20 of these big blocks so I’m about halfway through.


Hopefully I can get this finished in the next few weeks.  The pattern doesn’t call for a border for this quilt and I’m not sure how I feel about that.  The finished size is 60″ X 75″ so it says it’s just a throw or a lap sized quilt.  Of course it’s a kit so it doesn’t include any extra fabric but it might be easy to add a cream colored border that would match the rest of the fabrics.  I have enough of the dark red for binding although if I make the quilt bigger I might not have enough.

Before I get ahead of myself, I think I should finish all the blocks first and put them together!  I’ll think about adding a border while I do that.