I didn’t think this would happen but I’ve finished one block of the month quilt and I’m all caught up on the other!
I finished my Long Time Gone quilt top! I can’t tell you how happy I am since I thought it would never end.
Sorry the photo is a little dark but it’s winter in Germany and I don’t have professional lighting.
I have to admit, when I was adding the borders to this, there was a little problem with the square-ness. I think anytime you have so many pieces, there can be problems. I did the best I could and did some easing and took in a little here and there. Once the batting and backing are added and it’s quilted, it -hopefully, won’t be so noticeable.
I also noticed this after I put it all together. I think the checkerboard piece on the right should have been turned the other way and then I wouldn’t have two colored squares next to each other. The checkerboard would have continued to the left piece. However, at this point, I just didn’t care enough to take the whole thing apart and fix that!
It was a fun project and I’m glad I did it but I’m also glad it’s finished!
I also finished this month’s 40 Shades of Grey blocks!
Lots of applique, as you can see. I looked at it when I got it in the mail and then I put it away thinking I would never be able to do these.
First of all, they didn’t include the purple fabric for the middle circle and after I went out and bought some – they sent an email saying that they forgot and it would be sent next month. Also, the pattern called for 1/2″ hexagons and they didn’t include any pattern or anything for that. So I was not too happy to begin with.
I found some purple fabric for the middle and made the circles using the perfect circles method. Then I printed out some hexagons on card stock and hoped they were the right size. This was a little excruciating to work with such small hexagons and to fussy-cut the fabric so you see little images in the hexagons.
After all that, I wasn’t about to hand applique – I have my limits. So I used thread about the same color as the hexagon flower and just top-stitched it onto the purple. Then used purple thread and top-stitched the purple circle onto the colored circle. Then I used the thicker grey thread and a big stitch to sew the big circles onto the grey squares.
They look OK. This is another busy, colorful quilt so maybe these little blocks won’t be too obvious.
I hung everything up on my design wall and they look good together!