Progress Report

This week I finished all 28 of the log cabin blocks for the Smith Mountain Morning quilt!  They went faster than I thought they would since my goal for this week was to have half of them done.  There’s nothing like a cold, snowy January week to get lots of sewing done!

20160121_091500

I realized towards the end that I’m not the best counter when it comes to cutting out tons of tiny pieces so I had extra of some pieces and I was short of other pieces and had to cut more.  Here are all my extra pieces.

20160121_091723

The next step is to make the star blocks.  There are 16 blue star blocks and 12 brown star blocks.  Each of these stars has a pinwheel center so I’m working on those first.

This means sewing 112 half square triangles and then cleaning up those squares and sewing them together into pinwheels.

20160121_143003

One done!

They’re calling for more snow so I’m sure I’ll have these all done before you know it.

Advertisements

Some Cutting & Sewing on Smith Mountain

I dug out the Smith Mountain Morning quilt pieces that I started cutting out a couple years ago and realized that I hadn’t actually cut out that many.  Darn!  If you’ve ever made a Bonnie Hunter quilt, you know there are hundreds of little pieces to her quilts.  (Maybe why I put it away?)  So I spent the past week and a half just cutting out fabrics and I don’t think I’m completely out of the woods yet because I didn’t even get to the border pieces.  I think I at least have all the pieces for the blocks cut out which is something.  I kept telling myself that what makes these quilts so awesome is the sheer number of little pieces.

pieces for quilt

 

Today, I got started sewing.  I decided to start with the log cabin blocks – don’t ask me why.  I got all 28 of the center quarter-square triangles done and got started sewing all 336 of the little muslin squares to the ends of all 168 of the blue log pieces.  (OK, I probably only have about 35 of those done.)  I’m pacing myself.  BUT, I did get one whole block done just to say I did it!

progress

This is progress.  I counted and there are 28 pieces of fabric in each block!  I won’t bore you with the math of 28 blocks and then those other 28 blocks.  The key to getting this done seems to be chain piecing – just feeding one piece after the other through the machine.

chain piecing

It can get a little monotonous so I only work on the quilt for an hour or so at a time.  I’ll keep you updated on my progress.

Rock & Roll Quilt

Happy New Year!  I’m finally getting back to some sewing and quilting which makes me happy!  I got this t-shirt quilt back from the quilters last week and managed to get the binding on in record time.

20160111_151704

This is a t-shirt quilt made from rock concert t-shirts that one of the teachers I used to work with collected over the years.  There were a lot of t-shirts in her collection!  I think there were something like 30+ and I wanted to use the backs and the fronts for most of them.  I puzzle pieced them together and used as little sashing as I could to keep the size down.  I didn’t have any border but my quilter suggested I add something to keep things from stretching so I added a 1.5 inch border that acts as a “picture frame” for the blocks.

20160111_151843

Check out the extra wide backing fabric that I found at fabric.com.  It looks like old, ratty blue jeans and goes perfectly with the rock & roll theme.

I can’t wait to return my friend’s t-shirts all made into a quilt!