I finished all the spiderweb blocks this past week and got them put together over the weekend.
I had a hard time getting the whole thing into the picture so I took it outside and took a picture from the deck. But wait, it’s not finished yet…
I had about 100 of these little pieces left over from a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt that I was going to do a couple years ago so I thought I could use them somehow for a border.
I added an orange block and some triangle pieces to make a border.
The question now is which way do I orient the border pieces?
I may even try to add a thin border between this pieced border and the quilt center. I still have to cut and piece the rest of the border and the border corners so I have a little more time to decide.
I’m so happy to finish this quilt; mainly because digging through my scraps to make each pie piece created a huge mess. While I worked on this, there were little bits of fabric everywhere! My scrap bin is still full though so I guess there will be more scrap quilts in my future.
I got the instructions for this month’s mystery block this week and got it finished.
I like the block but I’m not sure about all the blocks put together. It feels like there’s too many different fabrics. I just don’t know how this is going to turn out which is probably why I haven’t done mystery quilts before! Here’s a photo of all 3 mystery blocks so far:
I guess only time will tell if they’ll look good together.
While I’m busy with the boring work of sewing little strips for my spider web quilt or making a few more houses; I wanted to share a new project that I’ve started. The April issue of American Patchwork & Quilting had a great article about Judy Niemeyer and her company, Quiltworx. I LOVE these beautiful and intricate quilts that she designs. The article also talked about her home and retreat center in Montana and how she incorporates natural elements from her surroundings into her quilts and fabrics.
After reading the article and looking the retreat center up online, I was ready to sign up! But it’s a popular place and seems to be already booked up for the summer. I felt like I should try making one of her quilts first so I picked one of the easier patterns and ordered it. I knew all her quilts were foundation pieced but you know I enjoy a paper pieced pattern.
When this packet came in the mail, it was a little daunting. It was a lot like buying a pattern to make a piece of clothing. Lots of instructions and papers. I chose this pattern called “Vintage Compass” because I really like the look and it’s supposed to be one of the easier patterns.
I set to work cutting out all the pieces.
Then, as the instructions said, I organized them into Ziploc bags with the correct labels.
My next step is to decide on colors and fabrics and get those cut out. The pattern fabrics are subdued but I think I’d like to make this compass in bright colors. My plan is to get the fabrics and have them all cut out so that when school is out in May and my husband is gone for his week of cadet camp; I’ll have my own little sewing retreat! I figure if everything is cut out and ready to go, I’ll be able to get the whole quilt put together … or I’ll just be fighting with fabrics and papers for a week but I guess we’ll see.
The number of my tiny houses is growing. I have 48 now.
I just need 8 more to have 56. I’m not sure if that number will be the amount that makes the right size quilt that I want. And I’m still not sure what color fabric to use for the sashing. I do know that I want to put little red blocks between the sashing. Anyway, I just keep making more.
I’ve also been working on my spiderweb quilt and almost have 15 blocks done! Only 5 more to go. This is the part that isn’t too exciting; just sewing and making blocks. I hope to have some finished quilt tops to show you soon.