The new quilt project for 2015 came out last weekend in the Kansas City Star. It’s called “Hazel’s Diary” and it’s a ’50’s themed quilt based on the diary of Hazel Hyde. It was designed and made by her daughter, Shelly Pagliai.
I like the summer-y look of it and all the flowers, although I cringed when I saw all that applique. I really liked last year’s quilt but didn’t do it because of all the applique and my lack of time. Maybe you haven’t heard how much I hate doing applique? But this year is gonna be different. This is the year I conquer the applique mountain! If this first block is any indication though, it’s gonna be hard. I tried at least 3 different applique methods on this one.
First, I tried to hand turn the little flower pieces, thinking I would hand sew them. Then I tried the freezer paper method with my iron. Also I tried to sew one sided fusible interfacing and turn inside out. What!!!? My fingers are too fat or my iron is too big or I am completely clueless. Finally, I cut the pieces the exact size, stuck them to some double sided fusible stuff (Steam-a-Seam 2), positioned them and stuck them down with the iron and machine appliqued with a fancy applique stitch. Whew. That’s why I hate applique – there’s too many steps. The reason I didn’t just do fusible stuff first is that I don’t like all that stiffness. I made a quilt with it many years ago and had a terrible time quilting it.
The pieced parts of the block were super easy and I just pulled pieces out of my stash. It called for a white with green polka dots that I didn’t have so I used something similar. I thought to simplify the outer frame but it just didn’t look right and I think that splash of color looks nice in the quilt so I did it according to the directions.
I hope you join me on this one to share my pain and give me any tips you have.