September & October KC Star Block of the Month

So sorry to all the people in blog land.  This has been on my to-do list for awhile but I’ve had craziness in my life lately.  My husband is working away from home which is good for my fabric buying budget but bad for my free time.  The leaf raking is now my job & it is time consuming.  My boss has been having health problems so I’m working more hours and my daughter is in a musical AND a beauty pageant in the next two weeks.  Most of the sewing I’ve been doing lately is of the alteration type and that is just not very exciting.

I have been working and thinking on these blocks though.  The directions for the last two blocks have also included directions for the blocks or sashing pieces in between the main blocks so by the end of the year, we could have everything we need to put it all together.  My big dilemma has been what fabric do I use for those connecting blocks to bring it all together?  There’s a lot going on with this quilt and I don’t want to overwhelm it.

Here’s the September block:

KC Star September block

And here is the October block; which I made twice because the first fabric I used was just too pinky & bright to match well with the other blocks.

KC Star October block

That’s the problem with trying to match fabrics.  You would think that a red is a red is a red but there’s always big variations in a color.  You might not be able to see the color differences in my two blocks with my terrible photography & lighting in my house but when I had the old block (on the bottom) next to the other blocks, it was just too bright.  I guess I’ve been using darker reds.

2 different Oct. blocks

I got those blocks done and then ordered some red fabric with green Christmas trees on it to make the middle blocks.  The reds worked but everything together was just too busy.  I definitely will be able to use that fabric for the 3 million little half triangle squares that you can see up in the corner.  OK, there are only 864 of those little blocks, it just feels like 3 million!!  So, I went back to my fabric stash and pulled out something that I’ve had forever and didn’t know what to do with.  I think this dark green Christmas-y print will work nicely.

green fabric all the blocks

I started with those 864 triangles last week and have made a very tiny dent in them.  I think I might have 200 so far.  Enough anyway to test out one of these sashing strips.  I also put together one of the corner blocks which I’m making in dark green.

Sashing strip & corner block

Nice, right?  So I only have to make 35 more.   Yikes!  The directions for these actually have you cutting 1 7/8″ squares and then cutting in half before sewing but I like to cut the squares, put together with a matching white square, draw a line diagonally on the back and sew on either side of the line.  Maybe this is more steps but I find it easier to chain sew the squares rather than tiny triangles.  With all these little pieces, there’s lots of room for error.  Trim everything up (the squares should measure 1 1/2″) and be very gentle with the iron so you don’t stretch things out.  Also, be very careful of the direction your triangles are going when you sew together.  I feel like there’s bound to be some wrong direction triangles in my finished quilt because I get easily distracted.  I always tell myself that adds to the character of the quilt.  I tried extra hard on this sample to show you but I can’t promise anything with the rest of the sashing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s