This is pretty much all my sewing for the last week. It’s hot and I’m just not feeling it. I did get this month’s block done though. This one, called “I Do”, went together quicker than I thought it would. There were some templates and some inset seams but everything went smoothly.
So there are 6 blocks now and we’re halfway through the year! I’m wondering when we’re going to get the instructions for the large center block and if I’m going to have enough of my red scraps to finish. Yikes! I think I have enough of the white so that will tie everything together and most of my red tones match so I think it’ll all work.
Also, today, I’m putting the binding together for my Farmer’s Wife quilt. I have about 2 feet left to quilt on the last side of my border. I can’t wait to get this thing done.
This week I’ve still been hard at work hand quilting the borders of my Farmer’s Wife quilt. I’m kicking myself for not working on it that much over the Winter because it is REALLY hot under there! I’ve set a goal to get it done by July 4th because that’s when I started working on it 2 years ago. I have one side and a little more to go. Next week, I’m going to get the binding ready.
I’m also finishing up some old projects. This coffee-bag bag is modeled after one that was made by some ladies in my quilt guild in Germany. I thought it was so clever and it looked so easy; plus I was having a little love affair with Tchibo coffee and was buying it in these kilo sized bags. What a great use for the bags, I thought!
I got the quick version of how to make the bag but then I had to drink 9 bags of the coffee to collect enough to make this project so by the time I finished all of that coffee (last September), I forgot exactly how to make the bag and didn’t have anyone to ask. Ugh! I also couldn’t find any directions online. So, I did the best I could to construct this. I zig-zag stitched the bags together for the sides, slightly overlapping them. Then I added the bottom & sides with a straight stitch. I wasn’t sure how to finish the top edges so I ended up adding an inside liner made from coffee themed fabric. My German friend used nylon webbing handles but I could not find just the right color/width that I liked so I used more coffee themed fabric for the handles.
So that’s my coffee-bag bag. It’s a nice souvenir from my time in Germany plus it smells really good!
This project has been in my head for some time now. I love maps and seem to have lots of them around my house. That’s right, I don’t care all that much for GPS! I really like to be able to see the big picture. Anyway, I kept imagining what a quilted map would look like with patchwork pieces to represent counties and towns. Or when you fly over some places and see all the fields and they look like patchwork pieces.
I wasn’t really sure how to get started on this so I just got out my Missouri map and started cutting. Basically, I cut the state out and then cut that into some sections and pieced it like a crazy quilt. I’ve never done a crazy quilt before but I’ve done lots of paper piecing. You really have to have fairly small blocks to work with (which I didn’t always do) and you have to think it through before you just start sewing fabrics together so that you’re building & adding on as you go around a central piece of fabric(I also did not do this too well).
After I had the whole map pieced together, I ripped the paper off the back and ironed some double sided fusible interfacing to the back and stuck it to a background piece of fabric. Then I appliqued it using a decorative stitch on my sewing machine. I quilted the map part using lots of my machine’s decorative stitches on the seam lines between the patchwork. Sadly, you can’t really see that in this picture but I used lots of different colored threads as well. I quilted the rest of the quilt using a meandering stitch and then pieced together fabrics for the binding.
I think you can see more of the binding in the picture below. This type of quilt could be done with just about any kind of map I think.