Something New from Something Old

Over the weekend I finally got around to making a bag from my husband’s old Army uniform.  He retired last fall so we’ve got tons of uniforms around and not sure what to do with them.  I first saw this bag on the blog a year or so ago and wanted to make one.  My husband was going to throw away one of his uniforms last year (it was getting worn out and he was getting a short timers attitude) so I grabbed it and made one of these bags as a birthday gift for my mother in law.  It turned out great and wasn’t too hard to make.  The tutorial on was really easy to follow.  I’ve never made a bag before so I had to search how to make the bottom seams.

Army bag

I found some scraps of pretty fabric to make the lining and the pockets are definitely the best part.  You just cut them off the uniform and stitch them onto the bag or inside the bag.  As you can see, there’s a pocket on the inside and the pen holder from the sleeve of the uniform.  This bag is a great size.  I took it to work yesterday and was able to fit my normal purse stuff plus my lunch!  It’s just a great way to make something new out of something old.

Inside of Army bag

Scrappy Trees

This week I’ve been working on some scrappy tree blocks that I started last year.Scrappy Tree blocks

It’s from a pattern called “Acorn’s Promise” from KerryStitch Designs that I bought from her etsy shop.  I just love the look of these trees and love using more of my stash!  My fabric budget has gone down considerably lately so I’m embracing all kinds of scrap quilts and ways to use up what I have.

Since this pattern is set on point, the corner blocks of the actual pattern call for making partial tree blocks but I want to do something a little different.  I’m making my quilt throw size so I’m just using 5 blocks.  The blocks are pretty big at around 20″.  I want to do some sort of strip pieced blocks for the setting triangles with all creams and beige’s.  I have to do the math and figure out how big to make the blocks so I can cut them and then re-sew back together.  This should be interesting.  I also want to add a scrap border.  Here’s how the blocks look all laid out (without the setting triangles).

Scrappy Trees