Last week my sewing machine got a thread stuck in the bobbin case and went kaput. Isn’t it funny how those things seem to happen when you need it the most and have dozens of projects going on. It was just one of those weeks where I became afraid to touch anything for fear it would break or fall apart. This is the second time my machine has done this in the past two years. It’s going on it’s 10th year and I would love to buy a new one and keep it for a back up but need to wait for more money and more space. Someday. I love my Pfaff machine though so I think I’ll stay with that brand. I recently took a look at the top of the line Pfaffs at a sewing expo and they were NICE. I couldn’t believe they even cut your thread for you when you stop. They came with a nice price tag too so I’ll have to dream for a while.
I made this sewing machine block last summer. I thought it would make a nice center block for a wall hanging in a sewing room (someday). I drew it with lots of straight lines on a large piece of paper and then just cut it into pieces and paper pieced it. I love bright batik fabrics so I envision the wall hanging being really bright and cheerful.
I’ve been working on a double wedding ring quilt to give to my in-laws for their 50th wedding anniversary. I started out with big plans; I was going to make it a queen sized bed quilt to give them. I wanted pictures and words on it. Big Plans. Soon after I started, I realized this would be too much with a big move coming up.
I used Sharlene Jorgenson’s book and templates to cut and piece everything together. With time running out, I decided to make it a large lap size quilt. You can see I’ve used gold colored fabrics for the golden anniversary.
I had a friend of mine embroider their names and wedding date and “50th Anniversary” on a few blocks. I was making good progress even though sewing all the curves was tedious. I followed Shar’s instructions and did a lot of pinning. Her instructions also called for not sewing the center 4 patch blocks until the rows were all joined. Going back and stitching those together was also time consuming but the seams came together nicely. I had two halves of the quilt put together and then my sewing machine broke! I took it into the shop and this is what I have so far.
I’ll post pictures when I get it finished and quilted. I think it’s going to look great though.